At this stage, it’s only a MOU that has been announced by Amara Raja with the State of Telangana. What finally comes out of it remains to be seen.
(It’s important to keep a track of these announcements as it helps in understanding management’s promises vs delivery over period)
Key announcements –
- Proposed facility will be situated at Mahbubnagar district in Telangana.
- It will have a Lithium Cell Gigafactory with ultimate capacity up to 16 GWh and a Battery Pack Assembly unit up to 5 GWh
- The initial facilities would include an Advanced Energy Research and Innovation Center in Hyderabad, dubbed the Amara Raja E-hub.
- This facility will cater to the needs of Amara Raja as well as others.
- Amara Raja would also be establishing commercial scale pilot plant and the first giga scale cell production facility.
- Towards this, the Company on 3rd November 2022 had announced the incorporation of a subsidiary named Amara Raja Advanced Cell Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- The Company intends to invest Rs 9,500 crores in the region over the next 10 years
What is interesting to note is that Amara Raja as well as Exide continue to go deeper into lithium-ion cells and unlike others (Reliance) don’t seem to be exploring alternatives.