The proposed launch by Dabur will be under the “Fem” brand.
- Initially it will be only available on Flipkart. Later it will be rolled out to other channels. This strategy seems somewhat counter intuitive given Dabur’s otherwise existing strong offline distribution network.
Sanitary Napkin segment in India is witnessing increasing interest that is dominated by Proctor & Gamble (Whisper) and Johnson & Johnson (Stayfree).
- Indian Sanitary Napkin market is currently estimated at Rs 5,400.
- Globally, the feminine hygiene segment, which includes sanitary napkins and tampons was estimated at $5.85 bn (i.e, Rs 48,000 cr) in 2022.
- Indian market is expected to grow at 15-20% annually given the penetration currently stands low at 22%. Global market in comparison is expected to grow at a much lower rate of 5.15%.
- In India, around 50 per cent of women aged 15-24 years continue to use cloth for menstrual protection.