The intimation for the same was made by Gaurav through an email to Company employees. Zomato founder and CEO Deepinder Goyal confirmed it on twitter.
Reason mentioned – “taking a new turn in life and start a new chapter”
Key points to note –
- Gaurav had joined Zomato only 6 years ago in 2015 and was later elevated as Co-founder in 2019.
- He was the head of supply and has executed multiple strategic roles for the company including premium membership subscription, advertising and sales. He was also responsible for the launch of the grocery and nutraceuticals businesses, which struggled for a while before Zomato closed down both.
- Sources quoted in a moneycontrol.com report indicated that Gupta’s exit from the company was imminent due to an earlier fallout between him and Deepinder Goyal.
- Gaurav was the face of Zomato listing that happened recently in July 2021. Resignation within couple of months after that clearly reflects poor governance standards at the Company as I have not heard anyone having much idea about the resignation.
- It’s further worth noting that Gaurav’s last date at Zomato was yesterday i.e., the day when the news was broken to the public. Clearly demonstrates that the talks of resignation or even notice to the Company would have happened months before. So how is it that no one was aware about it.
- At the time of writing this, there is no formal filing to the exchange about the resignation. Again reflects poorly on the overall governance standards. If there is a filing, please provide the link in the comments.
The whole episode reminds me of one of my past experience with another start-up – “yaar fund raise hone de, phir chale jaana, varna lag jaayegi”.
No reflection of what may have transpired in Zomato. But guess investors should have more questions for the Company than before !