The Company has confirmed that it is developing a nasal spray for COVID-19 prevention for which it has initiated the clinical trials.
Key points to note –
- The product would be helpful in preventing infection and transmission of COVID-19.
- It has been developed by scientists at ITC Life Sciences and Technology Centre (LSTC). The same team during initial Covid outbreak was key behind the launch of ITC’s hygiene products.
- Post approval, nasal spray may get launched under the Savlon brand.
- Timelines for approval and launch are currently unclear.
Though market was excited post the announcement, personally I am more keen to understand ITC’s strategy around the overall segment.
- What is the thought process behind this segment?
- What are ITC’s budget spend targets towards this business?
- Which other products is LSTC developing currently and what can be expected in the foreseeable future?
- What is the marketing strategy around these products? Would it be over the counter or routed through medical prescriptions? Both are very-2 different and need a completely different strategy.
- and many more…
One off opportunistic product launches don’t excite me as such.
ITC’s alignment with healthcare is a global trend it needs to deepen.
My take from the article – the Company has been doing something in bits and pieces in this sector for sometime now. However, for me to conclude any concrete action plan is difficult based on the currently available information.
For sure, I will keep a close watch on future developments.
Read more at: